Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 32: Farm life :)

Believe it or not, I got used to sleeping on the futon, I actually miss it. Being up on the bunk isn't that bad, except it's to big. I feel like I'm sprawled over a king size bed, but it's just a twin. Compared to the to two foot and a half foot width of the futon though, it feels king size. I am much more aware of myself moving around at night, and I always wake up huddled against the wall. Not to mention climbing down that 10 foot ladder at 5:30am, that its a whole other adventure!

Guy and I both woke had set alarms for 5:30 but we both kept "snoozing" them until around 5:50, it was a bit of a late night last night. We did chores as usual. I'm still showing Guy the ropes, he is picking it up pretty quick though! When moving chicken tractors Jim came out and we split up the laying hens into two seperate pens so that they'll stop plucking eachothers feathers out. This batch of laying hens weren't brood mates as chicks so they never really got a chance to establish a pecking order. We also through a young rooster in each pen in hopes that they help bring about some order in the cages. Although Jim doesn't have too much hope for the young roosters, "What'll most likely happen is the old hens won't take well to a new young rooster and they'll just beat is ass." So stay tuned for more news on the fate of the two roosters!

After chores we took breakfast, I finally got some granola and yogurt which is nice because I was getting tired of oatmeal! The other good thing about the granola is there is no cooking necessary, and not a huge clean up either. I also through some pomegranate in the mixture, it was really tasty!

After breakfast Guy and I both mucked out the goat stalls for about three hours, as well as doing some clean up around the barn, running stuff to the "Bone Pile and other miscellanous tasks!

After Lunch we were in the garden for some harvesting work untill 3:30 when we had a mandatory Yoga session with Tina! It was a lot of fun, and actually good yoga since Tina is an actual teacher! It was me, Jim and Guy in a line with her at the front instructing us, it was a hard 90 minutes and afterwards we were late for chores (Which I just did in my Yoga outfit of spandex and nothing else), and we still had some harvesting to do. The work day didn't really end until 6:45 ish.

Guy and I worked out and showered, and then started cooking dinner. I handled the sauce, while Guy  made coffee and rice. We get all the reject produce that customers don't want, and then Tina and Jim don't want. So interns are one tier above the pigs on the order of food hand-me downs. I chopped up a bunch of tomatoes
for the base of the sauce, then I threw in some onions and garlic, sea salt, and a bell pepper. When the sauce was done we fried up some okra and eggplant which was delish because it all went over top the rice!

It's gets really hot in our room with the stove going, so I was sweating pretty profusely while cooking! That's always an interesting thing when you sweat right after showering. We also have about 50 flies in our room!

I tried going to bed earlier tonight but it looks like I'm just going to have to get used to going a little later!

No comments:

Post a Comment