Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 33: Windy Day!

I beat my alarm this morning but didn't feel like starting chores with out Guy, so I laid awake in bed for about 20 minutes watching the window go from black to a dark shade of blueish gray. By the time I was up, around 5:30 the sky was still a deep blue and I could still make out a few stars. The sun was up, but still behind the mountains so there was ambient morning light coming out of the the east. It was a very chilly morning, and I got to wear one of my favorite sweaters. I have been here for over a month now I still am amazed by the natural beauty around me. Each period of the day brings with it new things to love! In the mornings its cool crisp air and sunrises, in the hot heat of the day it's bright blue expansive skies, with clear mountains in the distance and the occasional breeze that reminds you fall is coming. Then in the evening it is a perfect temperature and the sunsets are always gorgeous.

Breakfast was as delicious as yesterday, and very peaceful. Guy and I are able to pass hours talking about fun subjects, but are just as capable to not say a word for over an hour and not feel awkward. He is a good roommate because he understands that I love my solitude and he enjoys his just as much! .

From 8:30 to twelve I was weeding in the garden, it was a good block of solitude to just work hard and think. While weeding the saying about a banker doesn't need to know what every type of counterfiet money looks like, just what one real dollar looks like. Same when for me, as long as something didn't look like lettuce or spinach, I pulled it. It was strange though, as I was weeding, My mind got freed up and I just tried keeping it fairly blank and let thoughts come to me, rather than trying to think about something. What came to me was an odd collection of moments out of my childhood. Things I haven't thought about since they happened, but I obviously still remember. One example is when I started crying during the movie "The Never ending story" when the main character's horse gets pulled into quicksand and the protagonist can't save him. I have no idea why that memory decided to surface today, but it did!

We broke for lunch right as the wind was picking up and had another good hour of each of us doing our own thing. I researched tents and backpacks for my time in Thailand, while he read a book!

The afternoon was incredibly windy! The day averaged 15-20 miles an hour pretty constantly, and then peak around 30 probably. If I didn't have both feet planted during those gusts, it would have knocked me over!

After lunch we were in the garden pulling old corn stalks, trellising beans and pruning back squash plants. It was a full afternoon of work. We worked non stop till about 4, right as we sat down for a rest outside the tepee, Jim pulled around the corner in the truck. Guy and I both were amused at how the timing of things like that always seem to work out. After 3 and a half hours of solid work, the boss comes around the corner when we had literally been sitting for not even 30 seconds.

We had a little work left to finish up before chores and we decided to just blitz it and get it done! Chores went by in regular fashion, and then the chicken round up at sundown.

I got an email today that said my WWOOF.com account has expired today,  which means it was exactly 1 year today that I started my search for an organic farm to work at! It's kind of a cool feeling to look back and see the progress I have made in a year!

Well, it's been a month of non-stop posting, and thus far everything I have written I felt would be of some level of interest to people, as well as an enjoyable process for me! I feel though that the subject matter is starting to be repetitiveness, even though each day is still very fun and fresh for me. That being said, I will be decreasing the frequency of my posts, and really only capture the coolest of the cool happenings!

No comments:

Post a Comment