Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 20: Egg-Mobile!!

This was the sunrise this morning! Gorgeous!


This mornings chores were pretty average, with two exceptions. The first being, it was cold enough for gloves! I have been using some pig skin leather work gloves that Jim gave me. They are real champs, they go through hell every day and never stink or get stiff. But I brought with me a pair of gloves that my Granddad gave me before I left. The ones he gave me though have a fuzzy lining in them for warmth, so I haven't been using them because it's so hot here! But this morning, it was perfect for them! These gloves were also the gloves my dad used to build a log cabin with my granddad when he was about my age, so they have sentimental value. I used them for the early on morning chores, but changed into my junk gloves so as to preserve the "Family Gloves" when it was time to scrub out the chickens poopy covered water tubs. The other exception in this mornings almost average chores was that 4 chickens escaped while Jim was moving the chicken tractor, but I caught them all, I'm well practiced at it now. 

I met Sundog today, an old hippie who comes by to help with farm work sometimes. He mowed down a lot of the wees that have been sprouting up because Jim want's the place looking presentable for the big tour this Sunday.
After chores and a meager oatmeal breakfast, I was back at work on the Egg-Mobile. I keep thinking I'm close to done and then Jim want's me to add something else! It's all good though, I'm enjoying making a little chicken palace. There is going to be more pictures than words in tonight's post, partially because I only slept a couple hours last night, and partially because the majority of the day was just me hunched in the trailer trying to build what Jim asked of me! But it's okay, it will give you guys a break from all my philosophical thoughts. 


I forgot to post this yesterday but It's my maiden voyage with a metal saw, I was using it to cut the metal siding I was screwing to the outside of the trailer. Jim also lent me his most stylish work glasses! I am doing my best to pull off the look! Ha! 


 The glasses protect my eye, but there was still a shower of sparks all over my arms neck and face! I got used to it though after my 4th cut.


This cow is off to the butcher, poor guy. But he is going to help make us a lot of money




This picture is from today, and is documenting my maiden voyage with a nail gun!



This is a picture of the dividers I put up in the lay boxes, those vertical walls, they are for keeping the chickens from getting in each others space.


This is a shot of both lay boxes, the left one with the cover rolled up, and the one on the right with the cover rolled down. These are to keep the chickens out of the lay boxes at night, we don't want them sleeping and pooping in there, just laying eggs.



The place we want them sleeping is here, on the roost that I built. Well first I disassembled and old roost and then re-cut some of the boards to size for this trailer, and then put it back together.



I didn't have lunch again today, partially because I really need to go grocery shopping and partially because I got consumed by my project once again. But dinner was a feast of salmon and rice and beans, since that is what I do have a lot of. I also was able to shower outside again.

That's all for today, sort of an unusual post. Tomorrow is my day off and I'll be venturing to Tuscon to start renewing my passport!

No comments:

Post a Comment